LyondellBasell begins production at new PP compounding plant in China
HOUSTON and ROTTERDAM, The Netherlands — LyondellBasell announced the successful startup of a new 20 ktpy polypropylene (PP) compounding plant in Dalian, China. This is the company's third facility in China, strategically located to serve the region's growing automotive market.
LyondellBasell is the largest producer of PP compounds in the world, with 15 wholly owned facilities, including the Dalian plant, and three JVs in 12 countries. Currently in China, LyondellBasell operates PP compounding plants in Suzhou and Guangzhou. The addition of the Dalian plant allows the company's further expansion into the strategically important North China region which is home to a number of major automobile manufacturers including BMW, Daimler, GM, Volkswagen, Audi, Nissan and Chery.
LyondellBasell's PP compounds are found in almost all modern vehicles and significantly contribute to improved fuel efficiency and the ability of automobile manufacturers to comply with strict environmental standards for car interiors. For example:
- Vehicle weight can be reduced by high-flow materials, allowing a reduction in wall thickness without compromising mechanical properties;
- Components displaying a visual metallic effect can be molded-in-color for paint-free exterior applications;
- Soft touch polypropylene compounds provide a pleasant experience in door panels, trims and handles for interior applications;
- Materials containing low volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and low odor for use in car interior components that meet strict environmental standards and protect the health of the passengers; and,
- Low density talc-filled compounds that provide a lightweight alternative for both interior and exterior applications.
Most recently, in 2015, the company announced the strategic acquisition of SJS Plastiblends Pvt. Ltd and the PP compounding assets of Zylog Plastalloys Pvt., making LyondellBasell the third largest producer of PP compounds in India. All LyondellBasell PP compounding plants provide tailor-made solutions allowing automobile parts to meet demanding automotive specifications while providing consistency with global quality standards.